Thursday, May 15, 2014

Dandelion Syrup Failure

So, it sure is fun to share your successes for all to see, but as my dad taught me, you have to be willing to laugh at yourself. Today has been a day of, well, "failures" as far as my projects go.

Did you happen to see my first attempt at dandelion syrup?

Shockingly, I managed to get the pot clean and my mother graciously allowed me a second attempt.

I scavenged for more untreated dandelions, took the flowers, pulled out the petals, soaked them overnight and then strained the flowers out:


Here is what the water looked like before and after adding sugar and honey:




Mom and I stood over the pan for over an hour, carefully ensuring nothing burned. Finally, when it looked like this, we decided to pour it into mason jars.


Problem was, as soon as the mixture cooled, it started expanding like a volcano! Here is a great shot my brother got me attempting damage control:

In the end, I scraped out what I could and plan to make it into a sugar body scrub (hate to be wasteful!) and the rest took a hot bath until it all fizzled away to crispy sugar heaven.




I got a good laugh - I think dandelion syrup and I might have to break up.


So yes, that's a fail! My second failure? Stick around and I'll show you =)









No comments:

Post a Comment