Monday, May 19, 2014

Success Tastes Good

So yes, my homesteading exploits have resulted in some marked failures. However, every now and again something goes wonderfully right.

In this case, it was Honey Oat bread and Sweet Potato Fries! (Not eaten together, of course)

Although my Pilgrim upbringing taught me to kneed and bake bread in an oven that you heat by building a fire within it, I decided to try the 21st century on and bake some in a new-fangled breach machine (that my mother has owned most of her married life, haha).

I found a recipe online for how to bake this in the oven, but I simply put the ingredients in my bread machine and let it cook. (SO much easier and faster than the 17th-century method, but without the epic smoky taste).

In the end, it looked like this:



I did substitute a 5.3 oz container of vanilla Greek yogurt for the 8 oz. of plain yogurt and used about half the allotted honey because that was all we had. It turned out delicious and everyone ate it. My brother said it tasted like pilgrim bread, which was a huge success. In the end, the bread was dense and filling!

Sweet potato fries were a new frontier in our house. My mother isn't a huge fan of said potatoes, but she let me use the olive oil, salt and pepper to flavor thin slices of sweet potato.



I baked them until golden (25ish minutes at 350 degrees F). My sister and mom still weren't huge fans, but my dad went back for seconds, so I'd say that was a success! Regardless, I love sweet potato fries, so I'll make them for myself!

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment