Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What!?! Another blog attempt

So this isn't the first and likely won't be the last time I start a blog with good intentions of keeping it up. I'd like to say I'm turning a new leaf, but I won't get anyone's hopes up and promise I will be successful at updating this every day. But dear Tory Cooney encouraged me that as long as I'm enjoying crazy homesteading exploits, I should keep a project journal. Since she is awesome, I'll give it another go.

Today's Project:

Summery Lemony Homemade Candle



Did you know you can make candles with Crisco? Yep. It's true. In fact, a 6 lb. container should burn non-stop for 45 days (for all you doomsday-preppers out there). But if you aren't so concerned with prepping and would rather just have a nice summery candle in a mason jar, here are my not-so-specific tricks of the trade.

You will need:
1 mason jar (or any other glass container - but seriously, 12 mason jars for less than $9 at Walmart makes them very worth it) (Also, don't use plastic)
Enough Crisco to fill the jar
Old crayons (I may or may not have borrowed some from Sunday School with the intention of replacing them with nice, new crayons)
Lemon essential oil (Or, for a cheaper version, steep lemon peels in olive oil for a few days in the sunshine - Thank you pilgrim life for the art of making smelly oils)

A crock pot or double boiler

Wicks (buy them on Amazon, or at a craft store)


Let's begin!

I'm not sure if I should blame the pilgrim in me or my laziness, but I'm not one for precise measurements (unless, of course, I'm using lye, because I might die). I just scooped the Crisco into my crock pot until I felt like I had enough. I wanted to do different layers of yellow shades, so I just did a little at a time (However, the last two were more or less the same color, gotta fix that next time).

While that melts, take a crayon and use a knife to shave off as much colorant as you want. This is all up to personal preference, but do remember that it will be lighter than it looks in the end because hard Crisco is white.


Once everything is all melted, pour some lemony goodness into it (the essential oil) and then pour the mixture into the mason jar.

HALT!

Did you put the wick in? Now is a good time for that. You can either tape or glue to the wick to the bottom of the jar. Again, I'm not one to be precise, so I just had the wick suspended from a random piece of wood I found in the basement. The oil doesn't harden immediately, so you have plenty of time to adjust the wick as you need.



If you want a layered look, you have to let each layer harden before adding the next layer. The time for the Crisco to melt takes about as long as it takes for a smaller layer of Crisco to harden. My mother suggested I measure out the colorant to make sure each layer is different (seems so difficult, haha, just teasing).

In the end, it looks like this (if you fail with the layers)! Also, here is a pine-scented candle I made from some left overs of an old candle and Crisco - the specks are green tea leaves.



So, you could spend the time to make these, or if you want one, just let me know and for a small fee ($5-7 depending on the scent) I will create you your very own! :)




2 comments:

  1. My favorite pilgrim! I will buy a lemon one from you!! When do you come back to DC??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be back on June 1st. Would you like me to bring it to you? I don't know if I can get it past security haha.

    ReplyDelete